Avoid Frozen Pipes
Contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400!
Minnesota is full of crazy weather, especially during the winter time! Sometimes we experience the coldest weather that can cause damages. Some damages that can be caused in this time of year are frozen pipes from the cold water. Frozen water in pipes can cause water pressure buildup between the ice blockage and the closed faucet at the end of a pipe. This pressure can lead to pipes bursting at their weakest point.
To keep water in the pipes from freezing, take these following precautions:
- Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow the heat transfer.
- Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipe with caulking.
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through any unheated or unprotected space.
- Drain the water system especially if your house will be unattended during cold periods.
Taking these precautions unfortunately cannot guarantee that the pipes in the house will not freeze over, but taking these steps will help prevent it.
Should you suffer any damage from a frozen pipe, contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud 24 hours a day at (320) 248-5400!