Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud this Winter at (320) 248-5400!
Chilly Minnesota Winter!
Winter has been making its return to Minnesota. We have seen an early winter with cold temperatures and buckets of snow. With all of this occurring, there is a larger chance for frozen pipes throughout the winter. Frozen water in pipes can cause water pressure buildup between the ice blockage and the closed faucet at the end of a pipe. This pressure can lead to pipes bursting near their weak points.
To keep water in the pipes from freezing, take these following precautions:
- Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow the heat transfer
- Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipe with caulking
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells to allow warm air to circulate around pipes
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through any unheated or unprotected space
- Drain the water system especially if your house will be unattended during cold periods
- Keep house heated even when gone for periods at a time
These precautions cannot guarantee that the pipes in the house will not freeze over, but taking these steps will help prevent it.
If you suffer any damage from a frozen pipe, contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud! We are available 24 hours a day at (320) 248-5400.