Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Is Bleach Strong Enough to Kill Mood?
Suspect mold? Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400!
Mold Issues? Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400!
Bleach does not eliminate mold growth.
A common misconception that we often hear when cleaning mold is that a bleach solution will take care of a mold problem. The truth is that in some cases, a bleach solution can only mask the problem and make it worse. Industry leaders have determined that bleach should not be used in mold remediation and is ineffective in mold removal.
Remember, bleach only affects surface mold If the area that you are working on is the slightest bit pourous, then you should never assume that you have eliminated the infestation completely.
Some reminders why to contact a mold specialist:
- A mold removal specialist will know what type of biocide will work best against the strain or stains of mold growing in your home.
- A mold removal specialist will know what materials in your home can be cleaned and saved and which must be removed and replaced.
- A mold removal specialist will have any special equipment needed to complete the mold removal job, including safety gear, respirator masks, vacuums with HEPA filters, and negative air machines.
- A mold removal specialist will know how to handle mold safely and to prevent the spread of mold spores to other areas of your home.
If you suspect mold, contact our crew at SERVPRO of St. Cloud! We can be reached at (320) 248-5400!
Water mitigation repairs are important, or mold can grow later!
This home has mold throughout the wall cavity and needs to be addressed immediately!
Water damage restoration is a complex process. The unwanted water must be dried completely so the moisture is not trapped inside the walls and floors. This could lead to microbial growth that can have health effects. After standing water has been extracted and leaks have been repaired, our technicians use powerful state of the art fans, dehumidifiers, air scrubbers and desiccant equipment to remove any of the extra moisture that remains in the air. We will continually monitor as we take daily readings of your home so it will return to preloss conditions. SERVPRO of St. Cloud will always keep you informed of the drying process so you will understand what is happening in your home. Our focus is your satisfaction along with quality workmanship!
SERVPRO of St. Cloud has the right equipment to dry any structure properly. Should you suspect mold as a result of water damage, please let SERVPRO of St. Cloud help you! Call us today at (320) 248-5400 for any water or mold related questions.
Does Your St. Cloud Home Have A Mold Problem?
In St. Cloud, Sartell, Foley, or any other home in Central Minnesota, mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (320) 248-5400 or email at office@SERVPROstcloud.com
Understanding mold in your home. Let SERVPRO of St. Cloud help!
Mold found in the wall cavity at a home in St. Cloud, Mn. SERVPRO of St. Cloud provided remediation services.
SERVPRO of St. Cloud is contacted often regarding mold related questions. There are many concerns about mold in your home or business and how that can affect your health. To understand the impact of mold, here are ten things you should know about mold:
Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
Should you think you have mold related concerns, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud for an assessment. We can be reached at (320) 248-5400 or office@SERVPROstcloud.com
Conditions In St. Cloud Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of St. Cloud knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of St. Cloud to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at (320)-248-5400.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud for mold remediation services.
Mold can be found in your bathroom! Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud for help!
Mold growth in a bathroom area.
Should you be concerned about mold in your bathroom, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud. Mold grows in warm, moist areas and bathrooms are an ideal place to thrive. Often times, many people take long showers or baths without proper ventilation causing elevated microbial growth. Often times, mold is found in the corners of ceilings or walls in the bathroom. Other areas that mold can be found is from a slow toilet leak. Often times, those slow leaks go undetected causing water damage and microbial growth in the walls and flooring of the bathroom.
To prevent mold, look for water damage in the following areas:
Leaky pipes under the sink.
Use proper ventilation including using the bath fan when showering.
Keep all surfaces clean.
Make sure there are no leaky windows in the bathroom area.
Mold is an important issue when keeping your home clean. Mold can cause damage, both financially and also to your health. It is important to be observant to any elevated microbial growth in your home.
Should you believe your home or business has mold or water damage, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400. We are available 24/7 for all your needs.
Worry about mold in your home? Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud!
This is not wallpaper.... This is mold!
Often times, we receive phone calls from people saying that they think they have "black mold" but not really sure what that is. So we will explain what black mold is and what to do if you believe it is in your home and business. Black mold is the fungal species stachybotrys chartarum and has a distinctive appearance. It is slimy and dark and stands out against the drywall or furniture that it is on.
Where does it grow?
Black mold can grow everywhere if the conditions are right. One thing that mold needs is a damp environment, little light, and a food source. Often times, we see mold settling on drywall, furniture, or carpets.
How to handle mold removal?
Should you believe you have mold, contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud. We work with industrial hygienists who give pre-test along with post test about the mold. They will determine the type of mold found in your home and a remediation plan to remove the mold in your home.
Due to health concerns, SERVPRO of St. Cloud contains the area where the mold is found so it does not spread. Often times, specialized equipment is used, air scrubbers are placed, and appropriate chemicals applied.
Should you believe your home or business is affected, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400. We are always here to help!
Mold... What to do?
Mold can be found on the floors, ceiling, or walls!
How Does Mold Develop?
Mold develops where there is excess water and moisture over a period of time. Water damaged building provides a "prime" environment for the growth and reproduction of mold and bacteria. SERVPRO of St. Cloud offers mold remediation services to get rid of the mold in your home or place of business. We also can provide deodorization to these areas. Removal of mold can be a tough and serious job, but SERVPRO of St. Cloud has the professional tools and technology for the task!
What to do if you suspect mold?
1. The first and most important thing a person can do if one suspects mold is to do something about it! All to often, it is easier to try to ignore the problem; however, with mold, it will just spread. Contact a professional to address your mold concerns. SERVPRO of St. Cloud would love to partner with you in this area.
Should you have mold related concerns, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400 to address your needs! We are available 24/7.
Mold cleanup is important! Trust SERVPRO of St. Cloud to help!
This bedroom has visible mold on the walls and throughout the lower level.
The world is full of many different types of mold – some not so bad but many can be dangerous. No matter the type of mold, every kind needs some kind of moisture in order to grow. No one wants to deal with the drama of a mold clean up, so use these tips to avoid mold growth in your home.
- Empty small garbages daily, this can be a massive area of mold growth
- Use one centralized garbage that is properly sealed
- Every week, clear out old food from the fridge
- Make sure to keep cutting boards clean by using vinegar
- Utilizing the exhaust fan when cooking to avoid moisture build up
- Check water sources for leaks and drips
As you maintain these habits, you will find your home to be a clean and enjoyable place. If you find mold, remember to have it treated by a professional. Mold can be very dangerous, SERVPRO of St. Cloud is always here to help even the grossest clean outs.
Should you home or business be affected by mold, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400 for professional help!
SERVPRO of St. Cloud cleans up mold!
This home in St. Cloud, Mn (56304) found mold during a remodel project.
Mold is a type of fungus. Mold spores are found in both the indoor and outdoor air, but they will only grow if they find the right conditions. Mold requires three simple elements to grow:
- Moderate temperatures
- Nutrients (food)
Mold can start to grow on interior building surfaces and furnishings if there is too much moisture. Eventually, the mold will damage the materials it is growing on and may cause health effects for occupants.
Mold and Your Health
Health effects from mold can vary greatly from person to person. Common symptoms can include coughing, runny nose, wheezing and sore throat. People with asthma or allergies may notice their symptoms worsen.
All molds are a potential health hazard
Many molds are capable of producing substances that can be harmful to your health. Molds can produce allergens and irritants that can cause illness. For this reason, all indoor mold growth should be removed promptly, regardless of the type of mold present.
Mold and water can show up in many places
- Leaking roofs and ice dams
- High humidity in bathrooms and kitchens
- Leaking pipes
- Flooding in basement
- Pooling water at foundation
- Condensation on windows and exterior walls
Should you suspect mold in your home or business, call SERVPRO of St. Cloud for consultation at (320) 248-5400.
Every homeowner fears mold, it destroys home value and can wreak havoc on your health and pocketbook, but did you know there are ways to mold-proof your home. Here are some reasons you should look into mold-proofing.
- An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Once mold gets a strong hold in your home it can be tricky to remove. Mold remediation can get expensive and the longer a mold problem lingers the more difficult and costly it is to get rid of. Mold proofing experts will let you know where your potential problems are so you can monitor and help you develop a solid plan of action creating a home environment difficult for mold to gain a stronghold.
2. Protect Your Home’s Value
For property owners, a big reason to prevent mold is to maintain property values. If you wait until mold shows up, the value of your property can take a hit. Studies show the vast majority of the general market is resistant to buying a property with a previous mold history, there have been reports of property deprecations of up to 60% if a property has a history of mold. Preventing mold before it starts is the best way to keep your home value up.
3. Protect your health
Mold grows where it is dark and damp, basically in places usually hidden. Once a mold situation becomes apparent it means there has been a mold problem for quite some time before. In this time the mold can make you and your family sick, see our article on Mold Sickness. Protect your family’s health with mold prevention.
If you have any mold related concerns, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400 today!
St. Cloud, Sartell, Rice, and Foley Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of SERVPRO specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (320) 248-5400