Contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud immediately after a water loss- time is so important!
This home in St. Cloud, Mn had water damage. SERVPRO of St. Cloud is able to dry out the walls without cutting any sheetrock.
Why Time is of the Essence in Water Damage
Many home and business owners don’t realize the time factor when dealing with water damage. After the initial damage, water invades and creeps into the home structure as time progresses. With each minute that passes, the water may affect carpet padding, the walls, hardwood floors, and even grout lines in tiles. Unattended water damage in the ceiling is even more damaging because this can lead to the collapse of the ceiling.
Aside from structural damage, water damage can lead to serious problems like poor air quality, growth of mold and mildew, humid atmosphere, and an unpleasant smell that permeates walls, floors, and ceilings. These conditions result in health hazards. More than that, when water sits for a long time, total reconstruction is often the only option left for homeowners and business owners.
In order to avoid further problems, it is important that you act quickly on a water damage problem and control the environment within the affected home or building.
Call in a Water Damage Expert
The first thing you need to do is to call in a water damage restoration expert to do assessment of the affected area. SERVPRO of St. Cloud can fully determine the extent of the damage. After the inspection and assessment, we can develop a comprehensive restoration plan. The plan shall include determining which items are worthy of restoration.
Control the Home or Building Indoor Environment
As water damage results in poor indoor environment, it is very important that you attend to this problem to avoid health hazards. You can limit the bad effects of water damage through controlling temperature, airflow, and relative humidity. An effective way to control these conditions, high moisture environment in particular, is to use damage restoration drying equipment like air movers and dehumidifiers.
Drying the structure using drying equipment often eliminates the necessity of replacing walls, carpet, hardwood floor, and other affected area, which can be expensive. More importantly, you remove the bad odor and stain caused by mold and mildew. If drying the structure is not properly done, these problems will come back after few weeks.
Should your home or business suffer water damage as a result of a toilet leak, dishwasher leak, sump pump backup or from any other source, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 339-3737. We are available 24/7 and always here to help!
Safety tips to prevent fire damage this fall.... Advice from SERVPRO of St. Cloud!
Fire prevention is important to your home!
Many people love this time of year, transitioning from warm summer days to cool fall nights – football season, pumpkin picking and cozying up to a warm fire. It is also the time when several fire safety issues should be addressed in order to prevent fire damage to your home or business in the upcoming months.
Think ahead to prevent fire damage when burning wood in your fireplace or wood stove.
The chimney isn’t just a place to enjoy a warm fire, but almost all heating appliances, whether they burn gas, wood or coal, rely on the chimney to safely carry toxic carbon monoxide out of the house. Proper cleaning of the chimney can also help to prevent carbon monoxide gases from entering the home in the first place.
- Have your chimney and flue cleaned by a professional. A dirty chimney or damaged flue can cause smoke damage.
- Clean your woodstove and remove any clutter that has accumulated on or near the stove or fireplace
- Be sure that your chimney, flue, bricks and mortar are all in good condition and that you don’t have more than one heating device in a single flue.
Test your smoke alarms and CO2 dectors.
Going along with chimney safety, you should also test all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms as well as replace any worn out batteries. A good way to remember is to change your batteries when you "Fall Back," and turn your clocks back to Standard Time in the fall.
Make a fire safety plan.
In the event of a fire, remember - time is the biggest enemy and every second counts! Make sure that you have a fire safely plan in place with all family members, especially children, in case of emergency so that everybody can get out of your home quickly. It takes less than 30 seconds for a small flame to get completely out of control and turn into a major fire. A house can fill with thick black smoke and become engulfed in flames in just a few minutes. Designate a meeting location away from the home, but not necessarily across the street. For example, meet under a specific tree or at the end of the driveway or front sidewalk to make sure everyone has gotten out safely and no one will be hurt looking for someone who is already safe. Designate one person to go to a neighbor's home to phone the fire department.
Should your home or business suffer water or fire damage, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud to help. We are available 24/7 at (320) 248-5400.
Roof Maintenance Checklist for the Fall!
Checking your roof in the fall may prevent roof leaks later!
To prolong the life of your roof and ensure water doesn’t leak through, your home’s roof should be inspected twice a year. Once in late spring, and once during the fall. So don’t prepare for Halloween just yet – make sure you do the following roof maintenance tasks first:
- Trim the trees. Dead tree limbs can fall on your roof and cause damage, especially when it’s raining or snowing. Trees that are leaning towards your house could also fall on your roof or allow squirrels and raccoons to pay your roof a visit. Twigs, leaves, and other debris can cause rotting, gutter blockage, termite invasion, and roof damage. If you want to avoid these problems, remove overhanging branches and ensure that trees aren’t leaning towards your home.
- Check and clean the gutters. One of the best ways to prepare for the cold season is to clean your gutters and ensure they’re well-anchored. This allows rainwater and thawed snow to flow properly off your roofline, avoiding leaks and water damage to your home. So remove leaves and other debris from the gutters regularly throughout the fall. In addition to this, install gutter guards – these ward off any debris that would invade your gutters.
- Inspect the roof for damage:
- Check the roof flashings – these cover gaps near vents and chimneys, and can be dislocated during a storm. Replace faulty flashing pieces.
- If you have an asphalt roof, replace shingles that have bare spots, are warping, or are curling at the edges.
- If you own a wooden shake roof, look for signs of warping. If at least 25 percent of your wood shingles are damaged, replace the roofing material.
- If you have a metal roof, look for signs of pitting, corrosion or gapping seams as these can lead to leaks or underlay damage.
- Get a professional roof inspection if you feel you’re not up to the task yourself. Your roof might need adjustment and repairs. Do them now, don’t wait another winter!
Got leaks in your roof? Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud for repairs. For mold remediation service and flood water damage repair, contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud as we are available 24/7 and here to help! We can be reached at (320) 248-5400
SERVPRO of St. Cloud is here to help your business if you have water damage!
Commercial buildings with water damage needs quick response times- Let SERVPRO of St. Cloud help!
Commercial Water Damage
You can never predict how water damage is going to strike your business regardless of if it’s from a plumbing leak, a storm, roof damage or any other catastrophic event. It can leak into walls, ceilings, floors, furnishings and other areas of the facility. Not only can the water damage your contents, but also the building itself. The longer it’s left the more damage that can happen. Understanding how important it is to get these repairs done can literally save the property. Disaster can strike at any time, it usually strikes when it’s least expected. Using our emergency helpline, you can ensure that your facility is protected by our highly qualified and trained team. SERVPRO of St. Cloud can be at your property within hours.
Understanding Water Damage Characteristics
It doesn’t matter what caused the water damage. We can determine the cause and immediately begin working on your facility and the contents. After we address the root cause of the water damage issue, we will begin to remove and salvage anything that can be salvaged. Then, we begin to make the emergency repairs. We work closely with your insurance company and work to get your company back in business as quickly as possible.
If your property has any water damage, it’s important to give us a call right away. Standing water can quickly spread and ruin your entire building. In no time at all your carpet, upholstery, records and books can all be damaged or destroyed. Furnishings made of wood may swell and parts may even disintegrate. Metal surfaces may be damaged as well. Standing water must be removed as quickly as possible to prevent further damage.
There are many potential long-term effects of water damage. These include bacteria and molds as well as the unpleasant odor. There are also more allergens. Left alone, more damage may occur as wood warps and splits and dries out. Windows and doors may not close properly. It’s vital to address the issues in the first few days to help reduce the amount of permanent damage and reduce restoration costs.
In many cases, the damage may not be obvious. It might only be noticeable by the smell and mold growth. Small leaks may cause a lot of potential damage if they’re not quickly dealt with.
Dealing With The Water
In dealing with the water, you’ll have to start with the flood damage to the property and contents. Using a high-volume desiccant and dehumidifiers, the dry air is forced into the damp areas and minimizes the risk of more damages. Prior to this process, the source of the water intrusion is identified and controlled. The level of contamination must first be controlled and then repairs begun. In removing the standing water, the mold growth is controlled and stopped. As the water begins to evaporate the humidity level is lowered. It’s vital to completely remove all of the water and humidity. This can prevent further damage to the facility.
Document And Content Recovery
We offer full services and understand how vital it is to recover the contents of your business. All content that is salvageable will be removed and restored in a secure facility. These can be professionally packed and stored with a specific barcode prior to returning it to your fully restored facility. Upon completion, our dedicated staff will ensure that everything is placed back into your facility as it should be. Every care is taken to ensure that all electronic media, hard disks, drives and optical disks are recovered as fully as possible. This can help to keep things running. Years ago, this wasn’t possible. Thanks to modern technology, it’s now very possible.
We understand that each day your company isn’t in business can cost you money. For this reason, the skilled team at SERVPRO of St. Cloud begins the task of restoration immediately. We want to get you back up and running as soon as possible. We’re not happy until you’re happy. We also ensure that your facility has no contaminants lingering after the restoration process. We clean air ducts, HVAC systems and ensure that no harmful contaminants or air ducts are lurking about.
Give SERVPRO of St. Cloud a call today and let us know how we can help you get your company back up and running after water damage. Our professionals are waiting to help you with any standing water or water issues. You’ll be glad you chose us.
Remember, we’re only a phone call away at (320) 248-5400.
What to do and NOT to do if you experience fire damage.
SERVPRO of St. Cloud helping to clean up business fire!
Everyone always seems to have great advice about what you should do if you experience fire damage – call your insurance company, secure the property, call a restoration team, and so forth. Something they don’t often point out is the many things you want to be sure NOT to do. Here are a few of those things you should know about if you are dealing with fire damage at your home.
- Do not try to keep any food items, including canned goods, which were inside the house during the fire. High heat can render them dangerous to consume. They should be thrown out and in some cases, you can itemize the cost to replace them as part of your insurance claim.
- Do not deal with fire ash and residue on your own. If you handle this the wrong way, you could damage walls, ceilings, and other surfaces. You could also cause respiratory distress and damage if you breathe it in. Leave it to the professionals.
- If there was heavy smoke, do not try to reuse carpeting or upholstered furniture. They will need to be replaced so as not to cause respiratory problems.
- Do not turn on any electrical appliance, including computers, which were in a smoke-filled room before they have been checked out and professionally cleaned. There may ash and debris inside the components, and if you turn them on, you risk damaging them.
- Do not enter the home until you have been told it is safe to do so. If you are not given that clearance due to structural integrity concerns, don’t go in. Period. Your life is worth more than any of your belongings that you are hoping to salvage. Let a professional handle that for you.
At SERVPRO of St. Cloud, we want you to be safe after your home experiences fire damage. We have the expertise to handle everything for you and get your home restored while not putting you in danger. We can work with your insurance company to make your fire damage restoration less stressful for you. If you are in the St. Cloud or surrounding area, the one thing you can (and should) do is call on us at (320) 248-5400.
Mold cleanup is important! Trust SERVPRO of St. Cloud to help!
This bedroom has visible mold on the walls and throughout the lower level.
The world is full of many different types of mold – some not so bad but many can be dangerous. No matter the type of mold, every kind needs some kind of moisture in order to grow. No one wants to deal with the drama of a mold clean up, so use these tips to avoid mold growth in your home.
- Empty small garbages daily, this can be a massive area of mold growth
- Use one centralized garbage that is properly sealed
- Every week, clear out old food from the fridge
- Make sure to keep cutting boards clean by using vinegar
- Utilizing the exhaust fan when cooking to avoid moisture build up
- Check water sources for leaks and drips
As you maintain these habits, you will find your home to be a clean and enjoyable place. If you find mold, remember to have it treated by a professional. Mold can be very dangerous, SERVPRO of St. Cloud is always here to help even the grossest clean outs.
Should you home or business be affected by mold, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400 for professional help!
Why do septic systems back up?
A septic backup can be a real mess!
Ask anyone that has ever dealt with a drain field. They will tell you, there are a number of reasons why drain fields back up. The most common cause for this issue is that of over usage in a small amount of time. If you have guests that come over and stay for a week or two, then this can often be the leading cause of having issues with your drain field. The septic system is not designed for a heavy use environment and as a result, this will often lead to a drain field backing up and needing service to correct the problem.
There are other factors that will play a role in the failure of a drain field. One of the other most common of these is that of the wrong items being flushed down the toilet or placed in the garbage disposal. This is a difficult thing for a person that is not accustomed to a septic system to adjust to. Unlike a sewer system that almost anything can be flushed, you have a list of items that are never to be flushed down the system. These accumulate and clog up the system. Depending on the level of the problem, you might be forced to replace the entire system to get it flowing again.
There are many other areas of concern that have to be explored if the previous ones have not been found to be the problem. One of these is the failure of the pipes that are part of the drain field system. This is often one of the overlooked issues that cause a backup in the drain field to occur.
These are just a few of the things that a homeowner needs to be on the outlook for when it is a matter of keeping their drain fields from backing up. Should your septic system backup, contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud to help. We are open 24/7 and can get your home back to normal. (320) 248-5400.
Minor water leaks can cause havoc to your home!
This home in Foley, Mn had water damage and SERVPRO of St. Cloud was there to help!
Realtors say many homeowners are unaware of a hidden water leak — which can interfere with the sale of a home, or be a concern for a new home buyer. A cracked pipe, broken seal, leaking spigot. . . There are a number of ways that water can creep into places it is not meant to go. The long-term results are more visible, including mold, rot, blistered paint, or damaged flooring.
Minor water leak often lead to major repair bills. But it’s possible to avoid the worst water damage by catching the situation early. You would probably notice a sagging ceiling above the dining room table. But what about more subtle signs? Water damage doesn’t always turn up at the source. It follows the path of least resistance, and then makes an appearance in unlikely places. You have to follow your nose, use your detective skills, or just put two and two together.
One big clue is whether there’s been a past incident with water in the home. Too often, the visible signs of a leak are eliminated but dampness within the walls or the floors is not. A floor that seems spongy and softer than it should is an indication that all is not dry underfoot. Mildew on an inside wall should set off alarm bells, or at least an investigation.
Leaks are cumulative. Building materials can absorb a surprising amount of liquid at first, but eventually the damage spreads to a deeper level, undermining your home’s structure and foundation.
Today’s homes are all about tight envelopes and energy efficiency. We have bulked up on the insulation, sealed leaks and gaps, and worked to keep as much conditioned air as possible inside the building. This efficiency, however, sometimes overlooks the fact that buildings need air circulation. Poor air flow becomes a real problem when there is water trapped somewhere. Consequences may include:
- Mold and mildew, and an unhealthy environment for the occupants
- Permanent damage to wood, carpet, wallpaper, paint and furnishings
- Drywall & insulation that needs to be removed and replaced
- Contaminated ductwork and other systems
Should you have water damage, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400. We are always here to help 24/7.
5 Frequently Asked Questions about Water Damage.
SERVPRO of St. Cloud drying out kitchen after leak in from the dishwasher.
1 What causes water damage?
Water damage can occur after natural disasters, from pipe bursts, appliance malfunctions, roof leaks, foundations leaks, septic tank overflows, poor drainage and more. Flash flooding, pipe bursts, and sewage backups are especially dangerous as they can produce several inches of water in less than a day.
2. Why is water damage dangerous?
Floodwater that comes from outside and from sewage backups contains dangerous contaminants like viruses and bacteria. If the water isn't drained within 24-48 hours, structural damage and mold growth can ensure.
3. What should I do after a flood, or sewage, or water leak?
Firstly, contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud as soon as possible. Don't wait water can cause mold and irremediable damage to the wood, walls, and carpet in your home.
4. How do certified technicians typically handle water damage?
The first thing SERVPRO of St. Cloud is to help put your mind at ease. We will determine items that can be restored. After the damaged items are removed, we will begin to dry out the water and disinfect the areas.
5. Will my homeowners insurance cover water damage?
It is important to notify your insurance company to determine your insurance coverage. SERVPRO of St. Cloud will work with your insurance company to help meet your need.
Should you suffer any water damage, mold, or fire damage to your home or business, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400 to help you with your disaster. We are open 24/7 and are happy to help!
How to find a commercial restoration company.
Should your business have a fire or water loss, know you can call SERVPRO of St. Cloud in your time of need!
When you’re staring at the aftermath of an issue, the steps to move forward in order to have your commercial property restored can be mentally taxing. There are so many factors to consider, such as cost, workplace disruptions, and plausible time frames, just to name a few. SERVPRO of St. Cloud would like to work with customers on their commercial restoration services. We believe these are a few key traits that you should look for in your commercial restoration services company:
- Experience- Especially important in commercial restoration services, experience should be at the top of your list when searching for the right company. You want someone who can give you an accurate time frame and quote, making it easier for you to plan out your budget and plan to return to your property. Only an experienced commercial restoration services crew can do that. SERVPRO has the capacity to work on small projects to large projects, as demonstrated after 9/11 when we responded to the Pentagon.
- Variety of skills- Often one problem attracts others, and it will be extremely helpful if you have one company that can assist you with multiple problems rather than several companies attempting to clean up several problems. For example, a leaky pipe and resulting water damage might cause drywall problems and mold in addition to flooding. Rather than calling a plumber, drywall professional, and mold abatement crew, it’s in your best interest to look for a single company that has expertise in all these areas. SERVPRO of St. Cloud can work with all issues and contractors.
- Professionalism- If you wouldn’t feel comfortable around someone without a professional demeanor, why would you let them into your commercial property? Dealing with a disaster is tough; don’t let an ill-mannered commercial restoration services company make it tougher.
The next time you’ve got a problem with your property, let our commercial restoration services team assist you.
Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud to help in any disaster- should that be mold, fire damage, biohazard cleanup, or water damage that affects your property. We can be reached 24/7 at (320) 248-5400.