Water Damage Emergency Tips
Water damage can affect a home in many different ways. When disaster strikes, the first concern is always safety.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
Some questions/ tips to think about:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most preventable concerns
- Wet materials can be very heavy. Be Careful!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (330) 966-2377
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
If your home suffers from water loss, SERVPRO of St. Cloud would love to help assist you!
Faster to Your St. Cloud Water Damage Event
SERVPRO of St. Cloud provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in St. Cloud.
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of St. Cloud arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – (320)-248-5400.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of St. Cloud
SERVPRO of St. Cloud specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Conditions In St. Cloud Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of St. Cloud knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of St. Cloud to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at (320)-248-5400.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud for mold remediation services.
SERVPRO of St. Cloud Smoke, Soot and Fire Cleanup
Smoke and soot damage can cause a pervasive odor in your St. Cloud home. This home suffered from debris and strong odors from this large fire.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of St. Cloud will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 320-248-5400
St. Cloud Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
Flooded basement due to a sump pump backup
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your St. Cloud basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - (320)-248-5400
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of St. Cloud and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help! (320)-248-5400
Let SERVPRO of St. Cloud help in your water and fire damage needs!
A technician taking readings to dry out a home.
SERVPRO of St. Cloud is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 1(320) 248-5400
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of St. Cloud has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
It is our mission to help you during this difficult time. You can guarantee that our employees have been trained on remediation techniques yet understanding that we are working in your most valuable asset: your home. Do not worry that our employees will treat it as such.
Should you suffer water damage to your home or business, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud. We can be reached 24/7 at (320) 248-5400
What to do if a fire burns your office or home? Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud!
SERVPRO of St. Cloud worked on this fire where the home suffered extensive damage.
What should you do if your office or home suffers a fire? All to often, we don't have a plan if a disaster occurs until it actually happens. The trouble is that if you don't have a plan, it is hard to act quickly and methodically and we tend to make decisions based on emotions rather than facts. So here are a few tips should you encounter a fire in your home:
The most important factor is that everyone gets out safe. Make a plan with your family or employees how to get out of a fire and where to meet.
The best scenario to reduce the amount of damage from a fire and/or soot, is to contact a restoration company as soon as possible to begin the clean up work. If the local fire department responded to a fire, often times there is water damage as well as soot or charred materials from the fire. SERVPRO of St. Cloud is capable of drying out your home as well as eliminating the soot odor. We have specialized equipment including air scrubbers, fogging equipment, ozone chambers just to name a few. It is important to understand how the equipment along with the specialized cleaning chemicals can restore your house as to the conditions before your fire.
If you suffer a fire to your home or business, it can be a traumatic experience. Let the professional staff at SERVPRO of St. Cloud help you navigate this process with your insurance company. We are available 24/7 and can be reached at (320) 248-5400. We are always here to help!
Commercial properties suffer water losses and SERVPRO of St. Cloud is here to help!
Don't let water damage put your business on hold.... Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud.
Often times, many people think of a typical water loss as in their home. However, businesses are just as often affected when it comes to water losses, fire damage, or mold. We often tend to picture business water losses as a huge weather related catastrophe. However, businesses suffer water damage from the same source as a home. Water losses can occur from the following:
1. Appliance malfunction. Toilets or pipes often cause a water loss at a home; these same sources can cause damage in a commercial setting. For example, a toilet can overflow on a 3rd floor hotel room causing damage below. This is also true if a pipe bursts.
2. Sprinkler lines. Some businesses that have sprinkler heads that go off during a fire, does save a lot of damage that could happen. However, there is potential water damage that can occur.
3. Sewer backup. A sewer can back up at a business causing black water that can be potentially damaging to office furnishings or paperwork.
An important area to look at within the commercial setting is to have an emergency response set up. This will cover the idea of "what if" something would happen in your business and who to call. SERVPRO of St. Cloud offers a free Emergency Response Plan (ERP) that is a key factor is saving lost time and profits from your job should such a disaster happen.
Be proactive and contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud for your free emergency response plan today! We can be contacted 24/7 at (320) 248-5400. Remember, we are always here to help!
Should your shed start on fire- call SERVPRO of St. Cloud!
Shop fire with cabinet and tools damaged.
A fire to your home, office, or shed can be a devastating experience. The first 48 hours after a fire damage can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. SERVPRO of St. Cloud can help prevent fire damage from creating long term problems.
What you can do until help arrives:
Limit movement in the house to prevent soot particles from spreading and additional damage from occurring.
Place clean towels or old linens on rugs and high traffic areas and upholstery.
Do not wash any walls or painted surfaces.
Do not shampoo carpet or upholstery.
Do not clean any electrical equipment.
Do not send clothing to a dry cleaner since improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Should your home or business suffer fire damage, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud for all your soot and fire damage repairs. We are available 24/7 and can be contacted at (320) 339-3737.
Mold can be found in your bathroom! Call SERVPRO of St. Cloud for help!
Mold growth in a bathroom area.
Should you be concerned about mold in your bathroom, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud. Mold grows in warm, moist areas and bathrooms are an ideal place to thrive. Often times, many people take long showers or baths without proper ventilation causing elevated microbial growth. Often times, mold is found in the corners of ceilings or walls in the bathroom. Other areas that mold can be found is from a slow toilet leak. Often times, those slow leaks go undetected causing water damage and microbial growth in the walls and flooring of the bathroom.
To prevent mold, look for water damage in the following areas:
Leaky pipes under the sink.
Use proper ventilation including using the bath fan when showering.
Keep all surfaces clean.
Make sure there are no leaky windows in the bathroom area.
Mold is an important issue when keeping your home clean. Mold can cause damage, both financially and also to your health. It is important to be observant to any elevated microbial growth in your home.
Should you believe your home or business has mold or water damage, please contact SERVPRO of St. Cloud at (320) 248-5400. We are available 24/7 for all your needs.